The Anthroposophical Society in America (ASA) is a non-profit membership organization whose administrative offices are located in Ann Arbor, Michigan. Inspired by the work of Rudolf Steiner, members seek to engage the better nature and higher potentials of the human being. Through personal reflection and study, group collaboration in research and community building, and devoted service to others, members strive to create a future worthy of the human being.
The Society has a staff of seven dedicated individuals (both full- and part-time), located in Ann Arbor, MI, Harlemville, NY, and San Francisco, CA, and a strong volunteer base located across the country. The General Council is engaged in articulating the direction for the Society for the next ten years, and it has begun an administrative re-organization process to meet these goals.
The first position to be addressed is the Development Director. This position, initially half-time, or possibly full-time, will be responsible for designing and implementing the development program and fundraising strategy for the Anthroposophical Society. The director will be a member of the newly defined Executive Team, will report to the General Council and is accountable to the Leadership Team of the General Council.
Outline of duties and responsibilities:
- Lead and manage the ASA’s overall development efforts.
- Oversee the campaign for regular contributions from the membership.
- Create and guide the ASA Development Committee.
- Develop and grow the Society’s donor base; manage annual giving campaign; cultivate major gifts.
- Cultivate and nurture relationships with current and potential organizational sponsors and individual donors.
- Create and implement a development strategy for the ASA.
- Train and lead others, including members and friends as volunteers and eventually support staff, to support fundraising and development efforts.
- Develop phase 2 of the Michael Support Circle program, a group of lead donors.
- Develop and implement a Planned Giving Program – track progress of pending Legacy and Bequest gifts; fulfill requests and produce correspondences.
- Collaborate with the Director of Communications in development and implementation of identity, marketing and public relations strategies.
- Develop and manage the Board’s/General Council’s fundraising capacity.
- Responsible for all Development reports to the General Council; attends all General Council meetings.
- Assist the General Council with recommending and researching possible new council members.
- Work collaboratively with other ASA directors and staff to achieve overall goals of the organization.
- Willingness to relocate to Ann Arbor is preferred but not required.
- Minimum of 5 years hands on experience in fundraising and development work, especially with high net worth individuals.
- Proven management and leadership capabilities while also able to be a member of a team.
- Fluency in anthroposophy and enthusiasm for the future possibilities for anthroposophy in the world.
- High energy, positive, “can-do” attitude, flexibility, collaborative, attention to detail, initiative taker.
- Developed listening skills
- Ability to create powerful, compelling written and oral communications for fundraising.
- Experience and credibility when presenting materials to external audiences.
- Ability to think strategically and to craft a strategic development program to support the goals articulated by the General Council.
- Ability to use modern technologies to support the development function.
- Willingness to travel for work, including weekends and evenings as needed.
Send a cover letter and resume by email to:
Marian Leon, Director of Administration
marian (at) anthroposophyorg
Please put “Development Director position” in the subject line
Anthroposophical Society in America
1923 Geddes Avenue
Ann Arbor, MI 48104